Unforgettable Wedding Reception Table Decor
Helpful Tips and Tricks for Styling Unique Outdoor Reception Tablescapes Your Guests will Never Forget!
Wedding reception table decoration sets the stage for your party, works as a great ice breaker for your guests and illustrates who you are as a couple. You might find yourself here because you’re wondering… “Where do I start?” It can feel overwhelming diving into the world of wedding table design. We will discuss where to start when creating your tablescape, along with other helpful tips and tricks for curating and implementing your wedding reception table décor. You will also find a collection of wedding day reception table settings to get you inspired. Here’s to creating an unforgettable dinner table for your guests!
Decide on a wedding “theme”. Examples of wedding themes include: Garden Inspired, Fairy Tale, Vintage, Modern, Rustic, Cultural, and Bohemian… just to name a few. Next, add an adjective to describe how you want your reception space to feel. For example: Cozy and Rustic. Romantic and Modern. Friendly and Colorful. Voilà! You’ve narrowed down your inspiration search.
The Elements of the Reception Table. We promise this isn’t chemistry class…but there is a science to the reception table. Potential elements of your reception tables include: place settings, linens, centerpieces, stationary elements (menu, place cards, table numbers), the chairs, favors, and lighting. If you’re going for a minimalist theme, having each of these displayed on every table may not be ideal, whereas a glamorous wedding may be all about the formalities.
Curate your table décor. The best part! Before you dive in to the world of curation, consider…
- Your Venue: Are open-flame candles allowed? If your venue is outside, are your items wind proof? What kind of décor is not allowed?
- The size and shape of your tables: While round tables may look best with larger, single centerpieces, rectangular tables can sport three (or more) smaller clusters of décor items. Table size and shape also affects the style and size for table linens. We advise finding out these dimensions before falling in love and purchasing linens that don’t fit.
- Guest Comfort: Your décor may be amazing and the flowers out of this world, but grandma isn’t going to be happy if she can’t put her plate down or see Uncle Bob who is sitting across from her. Practical table décor can also be stylish. You do not have to sacrifice style for function nor function for style.
- What’s already available to you: For some, this means talking with your decorator and/or Day of Coordinator about items they have available for you to use. For others, this means collecting vintage dishes and vases from friends and family.
- Have fun! Add a touch of the unexpected. Pops of color, mismatched centerpieces, embarrassing pictures from your childhood… it keeps guests intrigued and your space unique.
TESTING, TESTING, 1, 2, 3! You practice your vows, you practice walking in your wedding day formals, but did you practice your table set-up? Set-up your wedding reception centerpieces on a table with the same dimensions as your venue’s tables or call up your venue and see if you can test out your centerpieces on a table or two. Now, snap a photo – anyone placing your décor the morning of will thank you! As an outdoor venue, we also suggest setting up your décor outside (for several hours) to make sure it’s ready for any elements such as wind.
Time to get inspired! Below we have included some of our favorite table arrangements for added inspiration. Happy planning!
Looking for ideas for your high-top (or cocktail) table decor? Click here to learn about 12 Memorable Outdoor Wedding High-Top Table Decor Suggestions.